Actor Alec Baldwin finally has handed up his smartphone to New Mexico police on Friday, nearly a month after they obtained a warrant for it, according to ABC News.
The Santa Fe Police Department had asked for the phone as part of the investigation into a deadly shooting on the set of the film “Rust.”
The Santa Fe District Attorney’s Office announced it had the 63-year-old actor’s smartphone, which is thought to hold evidence concerning the October prop-gun shooting of cameraman Halyna Hutchins.
The handover comes one day after the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release, “to date, the cell phone has not been turned over to authorities.”
Police in New Mexico got a warrant for the cellphone on Dec. 16 and the case’s lead detective quickly notified Baldwin’s attorney, police said.
But Baldwin failed to turn it over for weeks, forcing Santa Fe authorities to team up with the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Office on Long Island last week to get it.
On Jan. 8, the actor posted an Instagram video claiming he simply wanted his private communications protected.
“Any suggestion that I am not complying with requests or orders, or search warrants about my phone, that’s bulls—. That’s a lie,” Baldwin said in the video.