Edinburgh: Gay man kicked into path of car in homophobic attack

The couple in their 30s were punched, spat on and kicked

A gay man was kicked into the path of an oncoming car as four yobs launched a suspected homophobic attack on him and his husband.

The couple, in their 30s, were punched, spat on and kicked while vile slurs were allegedly shouted on Friday evening.

A bag was stolen before one man was knocked into the road as a car approached on Leith Street in Edinburgh.

One of the victims is said to have broken down sobbing following the onslaught, saying he ‘didn’t know why they did it to him’. 

The couple, who are understood to be married, were not seriously injured.

A horrified witness described the assault, which occurred at around 9.20pm, as ‘entirely unprovoked’.

They said: ‘The gay men did not fight back, they only tried to defend themselves. The boys were laughing, egging each other on and calling the victims p**fs.

‘Another girl [at the scene] heard them say p**fs explicitly. The victim came straight over, thanked me and I asked if he was okay. There was blood on the ground.

Vile slurs were allegedly shouted on Friday evening in Edinburgh
A horrified witness described the assault as ‘entirely unprovoked’

‘He burst into tears and I held him as he sobbed so hard into my chest. He told me he did not know why they did it to him.’

The group of attackers are believed to be in their early 20s according to the witness.

City of Edinburgh Council leader Adam McVey has called for the public to speak out against the ‘homophobic’ strike as it ‘isn’t the first one this year’.

He said: ‘Edinburgh is a proud and safe city, but this should worry us all. This isn’t the first violent, homophobic attack this year, my thoughts are with the victims this morning.

‘We all need to unite to condemn these. But we also need to act when minorities are subject to different treatment in press, workplaces and wider.’

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: ‘We received a report of an assault and robbery against two men on Leith Street, Edinburgh, around 9.20pm on Friday, 30 July.

‘Both men – aged 33 and 30 – weren’t seriously injured. Enquiries are ongoing.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *